Meal-Planning Mondays

0 comments


Image: DisneyMike


Greetings lovely Moms Dish readers! I hope each of you had a blessed Mother's Day! Unfortunately I was battling an all day migraine, but the day was as nice as it could have been under the circumstances! The hubby kept the little one occupied so I could get some rest, which was perhaps the best gift of all considering the shape I was in. I hope each of you were appreciated and loved!

Now, it's Monday, so onto meal planning!

MONDAY
Grilled Chicken
Corn on the cob
Green salad


Yes, grilled chicken and corn on the cob were on the menu last week, so please forgive me for my lack of originality. But with fresh corn starting to come into season and the weather luring us outdoors, I just felt like having this meal again.

GRILLED CHICKEN
For a little variety, try this recipe by Ina Garten posted on Smitten Kitchen. Or simply rub your chicken with whatever spice rub you like and fire up that grill. Be sure to make enough to yield left overs. You'll use them in Tuesday's dinner.

GRILLED CORN ON THE COB
Click here and scroll down to Wednesday for last week's grilled corn on the cob recipe.

TUESDAY
Chicken and Spinach Quesadillas
Black Beans

Image: Real Simple.

Quesadillas are a pretty frequent staple in our household. They're easy to whip up for lunch, and I'm always certain my little one will love them. And sometimes when I just don't feel like making what's on the menu, I'll settle on these. (No ... we don't stick to our menu plan every single day. Though we are pretty consistent with it, I use it more as a guide than an absolute rule. There has to be some grace!) This week, though, they're on the menu!

CHICKEN AND SPINACH QUESADILLAS
I typically just shred left over chicken and top store-bought whole wheat tortillas with the chicken, some fresh spinach and monterey jack. Then grill these on a panini press or stovetop. If you want to follow a recipe, try this one. Serve with avocado slices. Lindsay at Passionate Homemaking also has a great recipe for soaked whole wheat tortillas if you want to make your own.

BLACK BEANS
I buy my black beans in bulk, and prepare them as needed. Soak them for 24 hours prior to cooking. Rinse the beans and add fresh water. Add a few pinches of salt, then bring to a boil. I let mine cook at a rolling boil for 10-15 minutes, then turn the beans down to simmer for a few hours. Check to make sure they're cooked before serving.

WEDNESDAY
Spaghetti with Homemade Sauce
Fresh bread

Image: DisneyMike

SPAGHETTI WITH HOMEMADE SAUCE
We like spaghetti for it's simplicity--it's a great, quick meal to prepare for hump night--as well as for it's general likability. Try to use whole grain spaghetti noodles, and add organic ground beef or diced organic chicken. But this week, don't skimp on the sauce. We're trying this slow-cooked homemade pasta sauce compliments of DigginFood.

HOMEMADE BREAD
I generally advocate using whole grains instead of bleached flour, but sometimes I just like bread prepared with white flour. For this meal, try this braided bread recipe. Be warned though, it won't last long.

THURSDAY
Tex Mex Beef Tacos
Green Salad


Organic ground beef was on sale this week, so I bought a couple pounds and needed to incorporate ground beef into this week's menu. These tacos look like they'll do the trick quite nicely!

TEX MEX BEEF TACOS
Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light. Get it here. Serve with a green salad on the side, using Nourishing Gourmet's Everyday Salad Dressing.

FRIDAY
Homemade Pizza


You know what Friday means ... homemade pizza night. Though we love our old standby pizza dough recipe (click here for the recipe and scroll down to Friday), I still enjoy experimenting with new finds. This week we'll be trying this recipe, courtesy of Smitten Kitchen. Top with your favorite toppings.

SATURDAY
Skillet Gnocchi with Chard and White Beans


Ever since I had my first bite of gnocchi (Italian potato dumplings), I've loved it. The gnocchi seems to melt in your mouth along with whatever other flavors the dish may include. It's delightful! This recipe from Eating Well takes advantage of seasonal greens, and you can sub bulk white beans for the canned. Serve with a green salad and homemade vinaigrette.

SKILLET GNOCCHI WITH CHARD AND WHITE BEANS
Recipe courtesy of Eating Well. Get it here.

SUNDAY
Left overs or treat yourself to dinner out before the beginning of next week.




If you like this post, please share it!
Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

No Response to "Meal-Planning Mondays"