Praying for Your Family

2 comments

I recently finished the Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed study by Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore and Kay Arthur. The study was encouraging in many ways, but one take away that has really stuck with me was an exercise by Beth Moore. Beth is a firm believer in praying God's word, and she encouraged Bible study participants to pray God's word for their family members simply by choosing a verse and reformatting it into a personal prayer.

There is unspeakable power in praying God's word, so this is something I've tried to become more disciplined in. Praying God's word keeps me focused, and I have confidence that my petitions for my family are within the Lord's will.

To begin this discipline yourself, simply select a few verses and reformat them into a personal prayer. Then try to commit the verses/prayers to memory. I've also printed them off and keep them in my Bible, so I can easily refer to them. Here are a few verses and sample prayers (verses supplied by Beth Moore in A, T, R) to get you started. I hope this is encouraging and edifying for you and your family.

"He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones." Proverbs 2:7-8, NIV
PRAYER: Dear Father in Heaven, in accordance with your powerful, life-giving Word, I ask you to keep us upright so that you might be our victory and our shield. Guard the course of (insert family members' names), and protect our way.
"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk from your lips. Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze before you. Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil." Proverbs 4:23-27, NIV
PRAYER: Dear Father in Heaven, in accordance with your powerful, life-giving Word, I ask you to protect the hearts of (insert family members' names). Keep them unto you, and keep our hearts trained on you. Keep perversity and filthy talk far from our mouths, and let us fix our gaze on you. Give us a level path where we may follow you and not be tempted by evil.

If you like this post, please share it!
Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

2 Response to Praying for Your Family

April 29, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I love these Shalene!

April 29, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I'm glad you like them! It's such a neat discipline, and I love knowing that when I'm at a loss as to what to pray for my family, I have these effectual prayers tucked away!